Purpose: Arm your soon-to-be teachers with the basics of school law. Comfort yourself by knowing that these very important issues have been addressed by the experts before teachers are in the classroom.
- Response to Frequently Asked Questions by First Year Teachers
- Overview of Legal Issues, including:
- Immunity and liability
- Teacher contracts
- Special education
- Student and district records
- Code of ethics for professional educators
- Student discipline
- Complaints policy
- Sexual harassment
- Child abuse reporting
- Student and family rights
- Technology, copyright, and acceptable use
Note: This presentation can be adjusted for seasoned educators wanting a "refresher" on timely legal issues.
Audience: Faculty, first year teachers, and alternative certification candidates.